Tuesday, November 22, 2011

#Scratch: "Crunch".

This term we have been working on the Scratch program to produce a game. Although i was very reluctant to learn, i ended up getting into the game later or as i finally learnt the basics of the program. My first choice of game, as it was compulsory to make was a maze, as it was "easy" to make, at least this is what i thought, however i ended up really hating it, as the characters or "players" would appear rather small, as the maze it self could not be very detailed, therefore the more detailed the more smaller the players would appear.

Therefore, i decided to make something as i went along, first by changing my background to a under water scene with a random fish like character, from there i built the idea of the game i have now. The first step i really did was make the fish make as it is moving it's mouth, as if it is eating. When i was able to accomplish this, i was able to move on. Giving the key player, the audience control of this character by allowing it to movie forward, back, right and left. I then as well as able to accomplish this. I had a main objective, however i still didn't know what to do. Then i asked sir how to make something disappear when it touched the main character, therefore it showed and helped me achieve this by using seaweed as an example, from this i was able to come up with the idea that the main objective would be that you had to eat as much seaweed as you could, within the amount of lives, from this i had my main goal. I was able to plant alot more seaweed that would earn points for the player, however i needed a common enemy. I then added a poison fish, however i only added one as i found it hard to allow it automatically swim from left to right of the screen, however i was then able to solve this problem allowing me to plant more fish as obstacles. Although the fish made it look like it was just gliding across the screen without any movement to make it look like it was swimming, so i then drew the tale in different ways to allow it to seem as if it's swimming giving it a great effect. I did them again for the shark.

However, catching seaweed, it felt like it wasn't fun enough so i also made the object of the game to as well eat as much of the little fish as you could, earning you more points rather then eating the seaweed, i used the same technique as i did the for the poison fish to allow it to automatically swim back and fourth but as well added more features to allow it to disappear and reappear when eaten.

I added the features of lives, as well as the initial score. I also added instructions, and a start for the game as well as stopping the game when it was game over.

I think over all, for an activity to do to kill time, it was fun, even though i didn't want to do it at first it ended up being a very fun experience, i experienced many difficult task, however I'm glad i was able to make a game with a decent objective. Here are some images of the game and the keys to making it:



No comments:

Post a Comment